While it may still feel like summer outside, the fact is that fall is just around the corner and that means the fall 2013 application period is about to begin. The CSU Mentor application will open on October 1, 2012 and will close on November 30, 2012 for both first-time freshman and transfer applicants.
So what can freshmen do to prepare?
- Sign up now to take an SAT or ACT test by December. December is the last test date our office will accept. Students should try to test more than once if they can. Studies show that students generally do better on tests the second time around. I recommend taking both the SAT and the ACT. It's always wise to maximize your chances of doing well.
- Make sure your A-G requirements will be complete by the end of the senior year. If you need to make up courses make sure you talk to your high school counselor as soon as possible to discuss what your options are. Students aren't allowed to make up courses the summer after high school graduation for admission purposes.
- Visit Chico State on October 20th for Chico Preview Day. Campus is open to the public and it's a great time to check out our beautiful location, explore our housing facilities and talk to faculty about majors. We have tours available every day, but Preview Day is pretty amazing. Register here.
- After the regular admission application has been submitted, you can fill out the Educational Opportunity Program application by November 30th. Our scholarship application will also open in October and will close on December 15th.
What can transfer students do to prepare?
- Talk to your transfer counselor to make sure you will have 60 transferable units or 90 quarter units completed by the end of the spring semester. No summer course work is allowed to meet your unit quota.
- Have you completed the "Golden Four" admission requirement? College level Math, English, Critical Thinking and Speech courses must be done by the end of the spring semester. Unless you're an engineering major, there are no exceptions to this requirement.
- Transfer students should also visit campus on October 2oth for Chico Preview day. We have transfer student focused panels and our financial aid and housing offices will be on hand to answer all your questions. Register here.
- After the regular admission appliction has been submitted, you can fill out Educational Opportunity Program application by November 30th. Our scholarship application will also open in October and will close on December 15th.