Monday, December 17, 2012
Everything You Wanted To Know After Submitting Your Admission Application But Were Afraid to Ask Part II
Everything You Wanted To Know After Submitting Your Admission Application But Were Afraid To Ask Part I
Congratulations! You've submitted your fall 2013 application for admission and you probably have a ton of questions about your next step, or maybe you don't exactly know what your next step is! I wanted to answer some questions that may be going through your head right now.
1. My friend/sister/neighbor missed the November 30th application deadline! Is it too late to apply for fall? Yes! You can find a list of other CSU campuses still accepting applications here: http://www.csumentor.edu/. Just click on "Is your campus still accepting applications?" in the lower right-hand corner.
2. When is the next time they can apply? The next potential application period will be for the spring 2014 semester. We're not entirely sure at this point what the spring application status will be and we won't know until late summer. Students should check back with us then to get a final status on spring. If the application does open, it will be available beginning August 1, 2013 and will close on August 31, 2013. The spring semester will begin in January 2014.
3. When will I hear if I've been admitted? Admissions decisions go out on an on-going, rolling basis, so you could potentially learn if you've been admitted as early as January and or as late as April. It's best to check your CSU Chico portal account and Wildcat email account regularly to get the most up to date information about your application status. Your portal account is the first place where you can find out if you've been admitted.
4. You said check my portal account. What is that? Your CSU Chico portal account gives you access to your Student Center. The Student Center is where you can check your admission status, your hold and to-do list and everything you'll need as a student at Chico State. The portal can be accessed via our main page, www.csuchico.edu. Once you create your portal you also create your Chico State email account which you also need to check regularly.
5. Should I send my transcripts now? Unless the Admissions Office contacts you directly via your Chico State Wildcat email asking for a transcript, no. Final transcripts will be due on July 15th.
Stay tuned for part two of this series where I'll tackle some more questions applicants may have!
Friday, November 9, 2012
1. Where is the CSU Application located? The CSU general application is located at csumentor.edu. You can submit all your CSU applications via one site.
|Where to find the Admission Application.|
|Make sure to select the right application period.|
|Transfer students and first-time freshmen have different entry statuses.|
|If you do not fall into any of the independent categories you are a dependent student.|
4. I'm over 18. Can I consider myself an independent student? Technically-students are not considered independent until they are:
|No scores yet? Indicate when you plan to take them.|
|Red messages mean something is wrong.|
Thursday, September 27, 2012
While it may still feel like summer outside, the fact is that fall is just around the corner and that means the fall 2013 application period is about to begin. The CSU Mentor application will open on October 1, 2012 and will close on November 30, 2012 for both first-time freshman and transfer applicants.
- Sign up now to take an SAT or ACT test by December. December is the last test date our office will accept. Students should try to test more than once if they can. Studies show that students generally do better on tests the second time around. I recommend taking both the SAT and the ACT. It's always wise to maximize your chances of doing well.
- Make sure your A-G requirements will be complete by the end of the senior year. If you need to make up courses make sure you talk to your high school counselor as soon as possible to discuss what your options are. Students aren't allowed to make up courses the summer after high school graduation for admission purposes.
- Visit Chico State on October 20th for Chico Preview Day. Campus is open to the public and it's a great time to check out our beautiful location, explore our housing facilities and talk to faculty about majors. We have tours available every day, but Preview Day is pretty amazing. Register here.
- After the regular admission application has been submitted, you can fill out the Educational Opportunity Program application by November 30th. Our scholarship application will also open in October and will close on December 15th.
- Talk to your transfer counselor to make sure you will have 60 transferable units or 90 quarter units completed by the end of the spring semester. No summer course work is allowed to meet your unit quota.
- Have you completed the "Golden Four" admission requirement? College level Math, English, Critical Thinking and Speech courses must be done by the end of the spring semester. Unless you're an engineering major, there are no exceptions to this requirement.
- Transfer students should also visit campus on October 2oth for Chico Preview day. We have transfer student focused panels and our financial aid and housing offices will be on hand to answer all your questions. Register here.
- After the regular admission appliction has been submitted, you can fill out Educational Opportunity Program application by November 30th. Our scholarship application will also open in October and will close on December 15th.
Monday, August 20, 2012
|The best mentor group ever! Top row, left to right: Lorenzo, Fidel, and Marivel.|
Front row: Diana, Carolina, Houa, and Rebecca.
One way Chico State tries to help its new students thrive is though it's Educational Opportunity Program. EOP has a lot of really practical ways of helping students adjust to university life. For example, there's the Summer Bridge residential program. Summer Bridge is held a few weeks before the beginning of classes. Students come to Chico State early and get a jump start on making friends, meeting faculty and staff, all while taking workshops that teach them how to be an on-point college student. Students can access a lot of other services throughout the year as well. Tutoring, workshops and socials are all part of the EOP experiance. Best of all, EOP staff genuinely care about you as an individual and work hard to support you through the beginning, middle and end of your college experience.
How do can you become an EOP student? You have to apply! Students must submit the regular fall application for admission during the October 1st- November 30th period. Then students must fill out the EOP application. This absolutely has to be done by the November 30th deadline! If you don't turn in both applications you won't be considered as a candidate for EOP. In order to qualify for EOP, students have to meet specific criteria and submit two letters of recommendation and an autobiographical essay.
|Building a strong foundation. Bottom row, left to right Jasmin, Fidel, Marivel and Lorenzo. Top row: Rebecca, Carolina and Houa.|
It's definitely a lot more work to become an EOP student, but the skills you learn and relationships you build are so worth the extra effort! For many students EOP has become a central part of their college experience and their "family" away from home. Do you want to be on the fast track to amazing friendships and success? Explore the Educational Opportunity Program at Chico State!
Monday, July 23, 2012
We now have the final word on the spring 2013 application for admission.
We will accept applications during the filling period of August 1-31, 2012 from students who satisfy one or more of the following criteria:
1. Applicants who complete an Associate Degree for Transfer (AA-T or AS-T), made possible by the passing of Senate Bill 1440. This special degree program is available for a select group of majors deemed similar at community colleges throughout California. Degrees must be verified by October 15, 2012 by the participating community college.
2. Applicants who are fully eligible, upper division transfer students with 30 or more units from one or more of the following local community colleges: Butte, Feather River, Lassen, Shasta, Siskiyous and/or Yuba. (Additional criteria must be met.) For complete application filing details and criteria, please visit our website.
Monday, July 9, 2012
|Some of the amazing students you'll meet at Chico State. From left to right: Zijian He, Sonya Shumate, Shemu Ariyasivam, and Rachel Wietbrock.|
When I asked Shemu Ariyasivam, an Applied Physics major from Sri Lanka, why he thought Chico was a great place, he replied, "Honestly, Chico State has the best atmosphere when it comes to people and an environment to facilitate a great educational experience." Sonya Shumate, a Health Science Education major from Oakland shared that for her, "Chico State is great because it took me out of my box and old environment. I met new people and tried new things. It really changed my perspective. I even changed my major from Psychology to Health Science Education." Rachael Wietbrock, a Chico native and transfer student, didn't have to go far to find exactly what she was looking for, "What I love about Chico State is the fact that they had the exact major I wanted. It's a holistic approach to Health Science that incorporates things like nutrition and diversity. Everyone is also really friendly and the faculty really cares about you. You're not an inconvenience to them."
I've met dozens and dozens of students in my almost two years at Chico State and you I can tell you that the majority of them are loving and really making the most of their Chico experience. Students like Zijian, Sonya, Shemu and Rachel are plugged in by working on campus, exploring the various programs we offer and being open to new adventures. Do you want to explore more first-hand student experiences? Check out our real life student blogs, TwentyFourSeven.
Tuesday, June 26, 2012
It's summer! You've been admitted to Chico State! You can relax now, right? Don't pick up that bottle of sun screen quite yet. There are some very, very important tasks that admitted students need to complete before classes begin on August 27th. Let's make sure you can check them off your list.
Wednesday, June 6, 2012
Monday, May 21, 2012
Wednesday, April 25, 2012
4. If you are an admitted student there are a lot of things still left to be done. You’ll want to make sure to use your What’s Next handout we sent in your admissions packet. We hope this month-by-month guide will help you take care of other important deadlines like Housing, Financial Aid and Orientation.
5. Speaking of Summer Orientation, their website is live. Check out their calendar and get a sense of when you might like to come. We strongly encourage you to attend, as you are able to sit down with an advisor, get help selecting classes and register.
6. Not sure what residence hall you want to live in? Check out the virtual tours available online. Just click on any of the hall names and they will take you to floor plans, videos and more! The housing application is now open to students.
Wednesday, February 22, 2012
Thursday, February 16, 2012
Q. When will I hear back from Chico State about fall 2012 admission?
A. Very soon. Decisions go out on a rolling basis so, it could be this week, it could be next month, but decisions are definitely going out. Most students will know one way or another by early March. It’s important to check your Chico State email account and Portal because what could be potentially holding up your decision is a request we’ve made of you, but hasn’t been fulfilled yet. Remember deadlines are important!
Q. What happens if you’ve missed the Chico State application deadline for fall 2012?
A. Think "Plan B” because Chico State is definitely closed for fall 2012. Unfortunately, at this point there’s very little applicants can do. We don’t have a waiting list. It is possible to petition our office for special permission to apply late via a Hardship Letter sent to Admissions, but these requests are only granted for very extenuating circumstances, like military deployment, so it’s not likely that letters will be approved. The next regular application period for fall 2013 will be from October 1, 2012 through November 30, 2012.
Q. Can I transfer to Chico State in 2012?
A. The application period for spring 2012 was from August 1, 2011 through August 31, 2011, so unfortunately transfers for this year aren’t possible anymore. Students can contact us in late July 2012 to see what the status for the spring 2013 application will be. We really don’t know what our spring 2013 plan is yet, but once we know students will see the announcement here and on our “Want to Apply” webpage. If we happen to open for spring 2013, the application will available from August 1st through August 31st of this year.
Wednesday, February 1, 2012
Wednesday, January 11, 2012
· Need to make a safe and secure online payment? CashNet is a great tool to do just that. Note that VISA is not accepted, but most other major credit cards are.
· Scholarships: Okay, also not new, but what can I say, I'm a giver! I want students to benefit from all the amazing opportunities we have here. They are often based on academic achievement, but there are also athletic scholarships, community service scholarships and scholarships that are attached to different majors. Students should to apply in the fall the year before they plan to attend.