Thursday, December 8, 2011

Advice for Senior Applicants



One of the reasons I work in higher education is because I love helping students succeed.  Nothing makes me feel better than knowing that a student is thriving at Chico State.   While answering a ton of panicky phone calls on November 30th (the very last day of the fall 2012 application period), I thought to myself: “I wish I could help seniors avoid these pitfalls!”  Then I realized, I blog, I can totally do that!  So here are my helpful hints for seniors who've applied to Chico State.

1.  Never, ever wait till the last minute to submit anything!   We had over 2,000 applications submitted in one day for Chico State’s fall 2012 term.  If you multiply 2,000 by 23 campuses that's roughly over 40,000 students trying to apply at the same time.  If that isn’t a website crash waiting to happen I don’t know what is.   Really, for your sanity’s sake, don’t wait till the last minute. 

2.  Realize that submitting an application for admission is just a first step.   Your college process is not complete by a long shot.  There are going to be a lot of steps you’ll have to follow up with beyond the application:  submitting transcripts, an intent to enroll, testing, financial aid and housing are just some of the things admitted students will still have to complete.
3.  E-mail, e-mail, e-mail.   Most Universities are now communicating with students by e-mail or university portal accounts.  One of the first things you’ll be directed to do is create a portal account.  If you wait too long or neglect to do this, you will likely miss important deadlines that could result in your application being cancelled.  Chico State’s portal link can be found on our website.  Once you create your account, check it often. 

I’m not done here; there's lots more I'd like to share.  Look for part 2 of Advice to Senior Applicants.

No comments:

Post a Comment